72 EFBs in a weekend
Maximize your burrito output!
November 21, 2017
This August in a moment of extreme travel hanger I was introduced to EFBs - emergency freezer burritos - by my friend Kristin. They’ve been a meal prep staple since in my house, and the hubby loves them. This weekend I managed to prep SEVENTY TWO efbs in 4 different styles, which will easily last us through the end of the year and all its chaos as I prep to speak at Codemash and NDC London in January and kick off some ambitious Q1 goals for KCWiT. I am the queen of meal prep. These burritos took about a day to prep and cost under $200, meaning the cost of these tasty, nutritious meals is about $2.78/unit. I’ve optimized this process with my beloved instant pot(thanks to Kristin for this too) and doing things in a certain order to save time and $$.
The variations are:
- chicken, black bean, mushroom, white onions, pepperjack cheese(~333 cal)
- beef, pinto beans, roasted poblano, green onion, cilantro, cheddar cheese
- pork, black beans, roasted shallots, kale, cotija cheese
- sweet potato, pinto beans, red onions, pepperjack cheese
Each variation batch will produce 16-18 burritos, depending on how you fill the tortillas.
Preparation time15 minsPT15M
Cooking time80 minsPT80M
- 1 lb shallots
- 2 bunches kale
- 7 poblano peppers
- 2 white onions
- 4 bunches green onions
- 4 cups mushrooms
- 2 bunches cilantro
- 2 sweet potatos
- 5 garlic cloves
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 3-4 lbs boneless pork shoulder
- 2 lbs extra lean ground beef
- 4 cups dry pinto beans
- 4 dry black beans
- 2 TBSP butter
- 2 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
- salt, pepper, seasoning
- Season chicken thighs with salt and pepper. Add 1.5 cups of water to instant pot. Put the trivet in the pot, and place the chicken thighs on top of the trivet. Cook on manual high pressure for 13 minutes.
- While chicken cooks slice mushrooms, then saute mushrooms in large pan. Add 2 TBSP of butter to pan on low heat, cook mushrooms in two batches until reduced in size and mushy. Add to bowl of chicken once done.
- Dice 5 garlic cloves while mushrooms cook.
- Use quick release when chicken has finished cooking. Remove chicken from instant pot, shred in large bowl. Set aside and keep cats away.
- Clean instant pot.
- Put instant pot in saute mode and add 1-2 TBSP EVOO. Season pork shoulder with salt and pepper then brown on all sides. (This may work better by cutting shoulder into two pieces to fit in instant pot) Press garlic cloves into pork shoulder. Add water(or broth) to cover pork, but don't go past the instant pot max fill line. Cook on manual pressure for 65 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 450
- While pork cooks, dice the rest of your veggies. Dice the sweet potato finely into 1/2 inch square pieces.
- Drizzle olive oil on baking sheet. Spread diced sweet potato on baking sheet. Season with salt, cumin, paprika, and chili powder. (I use a blend I make based on a recipe from Paleomg) Bake for 25-35 minutes. Set aside in large bowl once done.
- Use quick release when pork has finished cooking. DO NOT DISCARD LIQUID. Remove pork from instant pot, shred in large bowl. Set aside and keep cats away.
- Add 4 cups of pinto beans to instant pot with pork liquid. Cook on manual pressure 45 minutes. Allow pressure to release naturally(about 25 minutes).
- Add 1/2 of the black beans, diced white onions and 2 lbs pepperjack cheese to chicken and mushrooms, mix to combine. Spoon into tortillas and roll. Wrap in aluminum foil and label if you so desire. If you want a magic surprise with every burrito, skip the labeling. BURRITO VARIATION NO. 1 COMPLETE