Jennifer's Poke Bowl
Get your poke bowl on, meal prep style!
August 03, 2017
I’ve had a poke bowl obsession since I first heard of them in 2016. A Hawaiian dish, poke literally means chopped up fish. The diced fish joins other delicious ingredients in a bowl, and I’m a basic bitch so of course I love them.
For realz though I buy sushi grade ahi tuna from my butcher shop, Broadway Butcher. It’s $25/lb and I have them cut it into 4 oz sections for me, which I freeze and pop out the night before I’m going to use each piece. I cook a 2 cups of rice in my instant pot and dice a white onion ahead of time and use that for my bowls throughout the week. Day of I dice the tuna and 1/2 an avocado fresh and assemble all my ingredients in under 7 minutes. PS. Don’t have chopsticks? Check out my favorite set from Sur La Table
Preparation time20 minsPT20M
Cooking time10 minsPT10M
- 4 4oz Sushi Grade Tuna cuts
- 2.5 cups water
- 2 cups Sushi Rice
- 1 medium diced white onion
- 2 avocado
- 4 tsp rice wine vinegar
- 4 tsp soy sauce or coconut aminos
- 4 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 4 TBSP sesame seeds
- Put rice in a sieve and rinse under cold water for about 1 minute. Shake out excess water and put in the Instant Pot.
- Lock the lid. Set nozzle to seal. Press the 'rice' button which will auto set to the correct time ~ about 10-12 minutes.
- When time is up, open the pressure cooker with the 5-Minute Natural release.
- When sushi cools, separate into 4 Tupperware containers.
- To assemble bowl with maximum efficiency, microwave rice for 45 seconds and dice tuna and avocado while rice cooks
- Top rice with tuna, avocado, 1/4 of diced onion, a drizzle(~1 tsp) of rice wine vinegar, soy sauce, and sesame oil and sprinkling of sesame seeds.
- Grab chopsticks and enjoy.