Polenta and Pulled Pork
Polenta and pulled pork is one of my go-to breakfast meals.
August 02, 2017
This is my go-to morning meal for a good carb boost before I hit the gym.
Preparation time15 minsPT15M
Cooking time80 minsPT80M
- 1 cup coarse ground polenta
- 5 cups Low sodium chicken broth
- 2 TBSP butter
- 1 diced onion
- 5 minced garlic clones
- 2lbs pork shoulder
- salt, pepper, seasoning to taste
- Press the "Sauté" button on the Instant Pot. Add 4 cups chicken broth, butter, and salt to the pot. Bring it up to a simmer.
- When the broth begins to simmer, pour the polenta into the broth in a thin stream, whisking constantly to keep it from getting lumpy.
- Put the pressure cooker lid on the Instant Pot, and set the valve to "Sealing."
- Press the "Keep Warm/Cancel" button to reset the Instant Pot. Then, press the "Porridge" button and adjust the time with the "-" button, down to 8 minutes.
- When the Instant Pot beeps to signal the end of cooking, leave it on the "Keep Warm" setting for another 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes have passed, carefully turn the pressure valve to "Venting." When the pressure has fully released, open the Instant Pot and remove the inner pot. Stir with a wooden spoon to unstick any polenta that may be clinging to the bottom of the pot. Taste for seasoning, adding more salt if necessary.
- Spoon polenta into 5 separate Tupperware containers & set aside. Clean out instant pot.
- Place the pork shoulder and remaining 1 cup of chicken stock in the instant pot.
- Add the garlic cloves and roughly chopped onion. Season the top of the pork shoulder with salt and pepper.
- Lock the lid and cook on high pressure for at least 45 minutes. Depending on the size of your shoulder, it might take more or less time. Cook until the pork shreds easily with a fork.
- Shred pork and distribute into polenta containers.